Trail, Road and Triathlon Races in Summit County This Summer (Part One)
Posted by: admin June 4th, 2015
In keeping with the mantra of Colorado – and especially Summit County – as one of the healthiest states in America it would seem to fit that more than two dozen running and pedaling events will embrace our mountain communities between now and late September. If you are into outdoor fitness, this will be the “Summer of You!” Here is a list of these events by town (Frisco, Copper Mountain and Dillon).
Since our Frisco bed and breakfast is conveniently located in this “Main Street to the Rockies,” I want to highlight these four events first.
- Kicking off the summer series on Saturday, June 6, the 39th annual Run the Rockies 10K and Half Marathon Road Race is a great option for the first-time half marathoner because of its manageable course that covers a paved recreation path.
- On Saturday, June 20, the Bacon Burner 6K graces the Frisco Recreational Path (paved) and starts at the Frisco Marina just down the street from our Frisco hotel. This is a 3.8 mile out-and-back run will start in three waves; the competitive runner, average runner and family/walk/jog. There will even be “bacon-aid” stations for savory treats along the way.
- This year’s 2nd Annual Frisco Triathlon presents a unique twist on the typical trifecta, Saturday, July 18. It starts on the Dillon Reservoir with a 3K stand-up paddleboard (SUP), followed by a 15K mountain bike and 5K trail run on the Frisco Peninsula. The triathlon is open to all abilities, but racers must provide their own equipment for each event leg.
- On Saturday, August 15, the Run the Rockies 10K and Half Marathon Trail Race will close the Frisco season as trail runners meander through the Frisco Peninsula on single track and dirt road trails.
- A three-day road bike tour beginning Saturday, July 18 and ending Monday, July 20, the Children’s Hospital Courage Classic starts and finishes at Copper Mountain. With a wide variety of high-country riding routes that cover 157 miles and three Rocky Mountain passes, this journey will fuel you to help raise over $2.8 million for The Children’s Hospital Colorado.
- On Saturday, August 1, Copper hosts the Colorado Cyclist Copper Triangle. With a total elevation gain of 5,981 feet, this 78-mile loop covers three mountain passes: Vail Pass (10,666’), Tennessee Pass (10,424’) and Fremont Pass (11,318’). Cyclists will start and finish at Burning Stones Plaza at Copper Mountain Resort and will pass three ski areas on its loop.
- Copper Mountain’s 2015 Colorado Warrior Dash on Saturday, August 15 will cover 3.1 mountainous miles with the added challenge of 12 obstacles standing in your way. This grueling obstacle course race will test your inner meddle with world-class obstacles such as mud pits and adult-sized jungle gyms.
Dubbed “The Highest Tri in the World,” the town of Dillon will be hosting its third annual Rocky Mountain Triathlon on Sunday, August 9. The only open-water swim event in Summit County, this triathlon offers sprint, Olympic and relay options for its participants (swim, road bike, run).
Check back next week for the rest of Summit County’s running and pedaling events in the towns of Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin.